About this Policy
The website www.modelcarsales.com (the “Site”) is operated by carsales.com Limited (ACN 074 444 018) (“modelcarsales”).
This policy sets out how modelcarsales collects, uses and discloses your personal information.
By accessing or using the Site or modelcarsales’ services you agree to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in the manner described in this policy.
modelcarsales and privacy
modelcarsales is bound by the Privacy Act (1988).
What personal information is collected?
modelcarsales collects personal information to assist it and its related bodies corporate to conduct their activities and provide the range of services they offer.
Personal information collected by modelcarsales may include:
- identification details, which may include name, address, email address, phone number, birth date, gender, security questions and answers;
- limited credit card information;
- user ID's and passwords;
- services provided to you, including saved items and searches;
- information about the devices on which you visit the Site;
- information about your activities on the Site such as buying activities, forum messages or ratings you post or reply to and correspondence you send to us (“modelcarsales Communication Services”);
- third party account details (for example where you sign in through a social network or where you make any payment using PayPal);
- social profile information; and
- records and content of communications with modelcarsales or any other person including records and content using any functionality made available by modelcarsales including but not limited to any forums, comments or ratings functions. Please note that such records and content may be stored and scanned by modelcarsales.
How is personal information collected?
modelcarsales collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you when you provide information directly to modelcarsales in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic or otherwise) for example when you purchase an item on the Site;
- directly from you when you communicate with modelcarsales or any other person using modelcarsales Communications Services;
- from third parties such as:
- o modelcarsales’ related companies;
- o resellers of modelcarsales’ services and service providers to modelcarsales;
- o operators of linked or served web sites, applications and advertising on the Site;
- o social networks where you choose to share that information when creating an account;
- from 3rd party data providers who have been directed by you to send us information on your behalf;
- through use of modelcarsales’ proprietary software in which personal information is stored; and
- from organisations identified or described under the heading "How is personal information disclosed".
How is personal information used?
Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- to maintain appropriate business records;
- to research, develop, improve and use within modelcarsales products and services;
- to pre-populate / customise / provide shortcuts on our websites;
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with modelcarsales’ services;
- to generate statistics in relation to the Site;
- for the purposes of feedback, reviews and ratings;
- to send you newsletters, promote and market special offers and other services to you (if you do not want to receive these, please let us know by clicking here;
- for purposes connected with the operation of the Site including to verify account authenticity, send invoices, facilitate payments and troubleshoot problems;
- for staff training and quality assurance; and
- to personalise the site experience and / or the advertising you see when you visit the Site.
How is personal information disclosed?
modelcarsales may disclose personal information to individuals and organisations other than modelcarsales. The organisations to which we may disclose personal information include:
- modelcarsales’ staff and modelcarsales’ related bodies corporate and their staff;
- the public if you use publicly available modelcarsales Communications Services;
- contractors involved in the delivery of goods purchased by you via the Site;
- outsourced service providers who assist modelcarsales to provide its services including:
- o information technology providers;
- o marketing and market research advisers; and
- o professional advisers.
- entities to whom you request we send your information;
- resellers of modelcarsales’ services;
- organisations involved in a sale/transfer of modelcarsales assets, business or shares;
- to assist government or regulatory authorities or police;
- a rights owner or their legal representatives where intellectual property infringement is alleged;
- as we are required by law, for example pursuant to a subpoena or in accordance with unclaimed money legislation.
Maintaining personal information quality
modelcarsales strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date records. To facilitate this, please let us know if any of your details change. You may update certain personal information through your membership account (if you have one) or click here to contact us by email.
How to access your personal information
You generally have a right to access your personal information, subject to a few exceptions provided by law. If you wish to access your personal information please Click here or on the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page. Please remember to provide as much detail as you can as this will help us to find the information. There is no charge for this service, however you may be required to verify your identity before any information is released to you.
About security and personal information and credit card information
modelcarsales takes reasonable steps to protect personal information collected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosure. Your personal information may be stored in hard copy documents, but is generally stored electronically on modelcarsales’ systems.
modelcarsales protects credit card information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts the information you input. Your full credit card details are not stored on modelcarsales’ servers. Credit card payments are processed by a third party Australian payment gateway company. Credit card information for customers on 'Auto-Bill' are stored by the payment gateway.
Transfer of personal information outside of Australia
Dealing with modelcarsales anonymously
You may deal with modelcarsales anonymously by using a pseudonym, unless modelcarsales is required or authorised by law to deal only with an identified person, or it is impracticable for us to respond to you if you have not identified yourself.
What if you don't provide personal information?
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, modelcarsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of services available on the Site.
modelcarsales, Linked Sites and personal information
When you visit a website or use an application on the Site, modelcarsales records anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring url, and other referral information, device information and location, carrier, site interactions such as your access to website features, pages accessed, content, searching activities, lead submission, and files accessed and downloaded, type of browser and operating system.
Such information collected by modelcarsales may be linked to other information modelcarsales holds about a user, compiling a complete profile about modelcarsales users’ browsing activities on the Site.
modelcarsales uses “cookies” and other methods to collect and store the information set out above. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires (this may be as little as 30 days or up 2 years, or longer in some cases). Cookies may be used by modelcarsales or by service providers engaged by modelcarsales to provide you with the full range of services it offers, remember your preferences, remember the sites you visit on the Site, measure and analyse usage of the Site and for security. Persistent cookies may be used to identify the sites you visit on the Site and to personalise the advertising that you see when you make future visits to the Site or other sites. You may adjust your Internet browser settings to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled modelcarsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of modelcarsales services.
modelcarsales uses Nielsen/NetRatings web analytics tools to measure and analyse internet usage across the Site. This service helps us measure and respond to our online consumers. The data collected does not identify a user personally.
What if I have a problem?
If you have a problem, complaint, want to change your personal information or just wish to enquire about privacy please contact us.
Level 4, 449 Punt Road, Richmond VIC 3121
Locked Bag 9001, Richmond VIC 3121
+61 (03) 9093 8600 (Business Hours EST)
modelcarsales treats complaints relating to privacy extremely seriously. If you submit a concern or complaint, we will endeavour to deal with it comprehensively and reach an outcome with which all parties are satisfied. If you would like further information about privacy in Australia, please review the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website.
How this policy changes
This policy may change over time. All changes will be published on this website.
Version 1 (December 2014)